£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A sweeping saga of a tale, linking the past and the present through two women’s dreams and a house that straddles time. This is the first Barbara Erskine novel I’ve read, for those that have been with her since the beginning, this has been written 30 years after the bestselling ‘Lady of Hay’ was published. In the present Andy moves to Sleeper’s Castle as an escape from the nightmare her life has become, while in the past Catrin is trapped between the English and the Welsh as her father plays a dangerous game. This could almost be read as two separate novels, yet as we float between the stories, the house of Sleeper’s Castle controls the strings and begins to tighten the links between the two women. With two unsettling, oppressive characters haunting Andy and Catrin, there were times when, particularly in Andy’s case, I wanted to step into the pages and lend a helping hand. With dream walking and ghostly presences stalking menacingly through the tale, ‘Sleeper’s Castle’ is an intriguing foray into the story of a house that remains outside of time. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Celia Cohen - 'A thoroughly good read which is hard to put down.'
- Ann Peet - 'Wonderful novel interweaving a fascinating time in Welsh history with a modern day tale of revenge. Completely captivating.'
- Pam Kennedy - 'Great book, Barbara Erskine books are very good I have read them all and this is no exception.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'Barbara Erskine is back to her best with this dual time novel.'
- Angela Rhodes - 'the reader is transported back and forth between the past and the present with the ease and storytelling perfection that we the readers have grown to love.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'This author NEVER disappoints.'
- Glynis Elliott - 'as usual the novel was well written but in this particular instance not for me.'
- Sheila Dale - 'This is classic Barbara Erskine with the past and present colliding. A great follow up to Lady of Hay and given an extra edge with additional characters being affected and involved in the plot.'
- Kathy Howell - 'This is a really good read - and quite spooky!'
- Julie Wragg - 'Spooky dual timeline story for Erskine fans.'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'An epic novel of two entwined stories where love triumphs over tragedy, set 600 years apart.'
- Carolyn Huckfield - 'Erskine takes us to the magical world of the marches between England and Wales. They are a border between today and the past where wizards and seers live alongside princes.'
- Karin Gibson - 'The book is enjoyable and easy to read because of the excellence of the writing and I recommend it and give it 5 stars.'
- Genevieve McAllister - 'Barbara Erskine’s latest historical novel doesn’t disappoint, with a dual time-frame anchored by the setting of Sleeper’s Castle itself.'
Win tickets to the Borders Book Festival!
We have 4 tickets (2 pairs) to give away to one lucky winner to attend two Walter Scott Prize events taking place at the Baillie Gifford Borders Book Festival on Saturday 17 June 2017. One pair of tickets is for a panel event with shortlisted authors, and the other is for the Prize event in which the winner is announced and presented. Click here to find out more about the Borders Book Festival.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once and the prize cannot be exchanged for cash and does not include transport or accommodation. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Sleeper's Castle by Barbara Erskine
The Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller. Two women, centuries apart. Linked in a place haunted by its history ...Separated by more than six hundred years of history, two women are drawn together by Sleeper's Castle, a house steeped in memory and magic. This is an epic tale of forbidden love, cruel revenge and a war that time can't forget. Grieving and lost, Miranda has moved to Hay to escape, and slowly she feels herself coming to life in the solitude of the mountains. But her vivid dreams at Sleeper's Castle introduce her to Catrin, a young women whose gift for foretelling the future embroiled her in a bloody revolt against English rule - many centuries ago. An unbreakable connection is forged across history. Catrin is reaching out ...and only Miranda can help. But time is running out...Sunday Times bestselling author Barbara Erskine returns to Hay in the year that marks the 30th anniversary of her sensational debut bestseller, Lady of Hay.
'Sleeper's Castle is a haunting tale, confirming that Barbara Erskine remains the mistress of the time-slip novel'
Acclaimed historian and novelist, Alison Weir
'Captivating... Beguiling ghosts that whisper to us from the past and seek to stamp their will upon the present'
Richard and Judy bestseller, Rachel Hore
'Evocative and haunting, [I was] every bit as captivated as I was when I was swept away by Lady of Hay'
Sunday Times bestselling author, Elizabeth Chadwick
About the Author
Publication date6th April 2017
More books by Barbara Erskine
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarper an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
Lovereading has all the new books and also suggestions for 'similar' authors whilst waiting for your favourites new books.Carol Peace
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
For me, to read is to learn, to reflect, to escape, to think, to contemplate and my time for space and calm.Sally Ellsmore
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Lovereading tells me about new books before they hit the shelves, lets me find other authors I may like and has great prize draws!Sheila Dale