Closed Casket The New Hercule Poirot Mystery
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Hercule Poirot is back for his second outing under the fabulous guiding hand of Sophie Hannah. 70 year old children’s author Lady Athelinda Playford changes her will, causing the mayhem she predicted, however perhaps not quite in the way she expected. Hercule Poirot and Inspector Catchpool from Scotland Yard are on hand, their particular skills are essential in a house party full of lies, secrets and ghastly deeds. With twists and turns waiting at every corner, ready to trip you up, you need to maintain a clear head with this whodunit. Sophie Hannah maintains Poirot’s integrity, while injecting her own unique style, ensuring ‘The Closed Casket’ is a delightful tricky treat of a read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Queen Agatha is reincarnated and now writes under the pseudonym of Sophie Hannah! Perfect undemanding yet absorbing Poirot mystery.'
- Ann Peet - 'Great new Poirot novel from Sophie Hannah.'
- Sarah Musk - 'A worthy successor to our most famous crime writer. Sophie Hannah gets the plot, the setting, and the characters just right - a satisfying read for Agatha Christie fans.'
- Joan Sidwell - 'The plot is solid Agatha Christie; complicated, convoluted, with several red herrings and the inevitable twist, I enjoyed the denouement immensely.'
- Vanessa Wild - 'An entertaining and intriguing mystery which kept me on my toes!'
- Victoria Whish - 'All the classic Christie ingredients are here to make a heady cocktail of poison, intrigue and country house murder most foul! It's an open and shut case - you'll love this book!
- Angie Rhodes - 'Well I didn't guess the killer, and I am hoping you won't either. A great book, Agatha Christie, would be thrilled!!'
- Rachael Anderson - 'An enjoyable murder mystery, but it is not as well written as Agatha Christie's novels. It is however still worth reading.'
- Helen Lowry - 'Being a big Agatha Christie fan, I was very much looking forward to reading this book and I wasn’t disappointed...Closed Casket is an entertaining read and I look forward to reading further such novels.'
- Joy Isabella - 'The plotting and characterisation are all reminiscent of Agatha Christie, meaning I was instantaneously transported into the story.'
- Emily Wright - 'Hannah captures the spirit of Christie with a narrative accessible to a contemporary audience. Closed Casket transported me back to the golden age of detective fiction.'
- Kathryn Whitfield - 'Fantastic Hercule Poirot mystery, Sophie Hannah has got it right again.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Closed Casket The New Hercule Poirot Mystery by Sophie Hannah, Agatha Christie
Hercule Poirot returns in another brilliant murder mystery that can only be solved by the eponymous Belgian detective and his 'little grey cells'. 'What I intend to say to you will come as a shock ...' Lady Athelinda Playford has planned a house party at her mansion in Clonakilty, County Cork, but it is no ordinary gathering. As guests arrive, Lady Playford summons her lawyer to make an urgent change to her will - one she intends to announce at dinner that night. She has decided to cut off her two children without a penny and leave her fortune to someone who has only weeks to live ...Among Lady Playford's guests are two men she has never met - the famous Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, and Inspector Edward Catchpool of Scotland Yard. Neither knows why he has been invited ...until Poirot starts to wonder if Lady Playford expects a murderer to strike. But why does she seem so determined to provoke, in the presence of a possible killer? When the crime is committed in spite of Poirot's best efforts to stop it, and the victim is not who he expected it to be, will he be able to find the culprit and solve the mystery? Following the phenomenal global success of The Monogram Murders, which was published to critical acclaim following a co-ordinated international launch in September 2014, international best-selling crime writer Sophie Hannah has been commissioned by Agatha Christie Limited to pen a second fully-authorised Poirot novel. The new book marks the centenary of the creation of Christie's world-famous detective Hercule Poirot, introduced in her first book The Mysterious Affair at Styles.
'Sparkling second outing for Hannah's reimagined Poirot. The setting (posh Irish country house), the characters (country lawyers, creepy male secretary, stroppy flapper, etc) and the period vocabulary are all spot on, but it's the utter fiendish unpredictability of the plot that makes Sophie the new Agatha.'
Woman & Home
'Closed Casket is deviously plotted, deeply satisfying and does the grande dame of crime proud'. Good Housekeeping
'Christie's boots as a crime writer are hard to fill, but Hannah achieves it quietly and intelligently with Poirot-sized steps once again in Closed Casket... The whole book will not only delight Agatha Christie devotees but anyone who loves a good, well written murder mystery
About the Author
Publication date23rd March 2017
AuthorSophie Hannah, Agatha Christie
More books by Sophie Hannah, Agatha Christie
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherHarper an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
I recommend Lovereading because you get honest reviews on a whole range of genres-there's something for everyone. It's the only site I need.Sian Spinney
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill