£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
In alternating chapters headed “Before” and “After” and narrated by both Heather and Edie, this is one truly compulsive read. Menace hangs over the whole thing. “Before” was seventeen years ago when the girls became friends and some dreadful mystery occurred. “After” is the present, they had lost touch and are now reunited where some equally dark secret hovers. All parts of the many mysteries are drip fed to us in tantalising drops. Who, in this obsessive friendship, is good, who bad? One of them is certainly manipulative and suffocating but it is the other who appears to be the betrayer. So we swing back and forth as each mystery gets darker and the atmosphere grows deeper but still we do not know what happened all those years ago. Its major fault is that it is over all too soon! Highly recommended. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Suzanne Marsh - 'breathless, intense and shocking. Watching Edie is a dark tale of obsession, lies and betrayal. This chilling novel, you just can't miss.'
- Helen Appleby - 'This is a brilliant psychological thriller that had me hooked until the end. If you liked The Girl on the Train, Gone Girl or The Ice Twins then you must read this.'
- Sheila Dale - 'A gripping page turner, well written and good characters.'
- Janet Lambert - 'This book left me reeling I felt as though I’d been punched in the gut and I recommend it unreservedly if you like people based, emotional stories with plenty of twists and turns. An awesome read.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Read this in a day - had to find out what event severed completely the friendship of two girls - best friends at school and, in adult hood, why one so desperately wanted to exit her friends life...Brilliant psychological thriller that truly only delivers the answer at the very end.'
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'Wow! this was the most gripping, disturbing psychological thriller that I have read.'
- Natasha Motton - 'Compelling tale of obsession, lies and betrayal.'
- Jacqui Passfield - 'Fantastically gripping -this book is a real page-turner, I genuinely couldn´t put it down.'
- Beverley Davenport - 'Reading this book was like travelling on a train, with insights into strengths and weaknesses, cruelties and compassions exposed...rolling along the pages at an increasing pace as the final destination, the dark secret...hurtled rapidly closer and are ultimately laid bare.'
- Alison Bisping - 'I loved this – one of those books you struggle to put down and you stay up late to finish reading! I definitely did not guess the ending.'
- Cleo Bannister - 'This is one book that has a menacing edge right from the first to the very last page; a psychological thriller you won't want to miss!'
- Sarah Harper - 'A sinister psychological tale that ramps up the suspense from the outset. Very cleverly constructed with narratives from ‘before’ and ‘after’ the event, this is an addictive read.'
- Nicola Lowes - 'An absorbing read with an unexpected twist in the end. A page turner.'
- Clare Turner - 'This gripping novel, full of menace and pain, plays with your mind and poses questions that remain with you.'
- Julie Bertschin - 'A gripping story exploring the pure intensity of emotions in teenage lives, and how tumultuous fractured friendships can be. This story kept me on the edge of my seat.'
- Tracey Poulter - 'Watching Edie is a story about friendship, love, obsession, control and betrayal.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Watching Edie by Camilla Way
'Compelling, dark and intense, this story of a friendship gone wrong will keep you guessing until the end' -B.A. PARIS, No.1 bestselling author of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS THERE ARE SOME FRIENDS YOU'LL NEVER FORGET...NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY BEFORE Edie is the friend that Heather has always craved. But one night, it goes terrifyingly wrong. And what started as an innocent friendship ends in two lives being destroyed. AFTER Sixteen years later, Edie is still rebuilding her life. But Heather isn't ready to let her forget so easily. It's no coincidence that she shows up when Edie needs her most. NOW Edie or Heather? Heather or Edie? Someone has to pay for what happened, but who will it be?
'A slow-burning but well-executed tale of a toxic female friendship ... both Edie and Heather are utterly believable, and Camilla Way cleverly manipulates the reader into taking sides, first one way, then the other'
'A brilliant balancing act that slowly builds to an explosive, twisty finish'
'Trust me, once you've finished, you'll turn the book over and start again'
Stylist, Book Wars
'Gripping psychological suspense, Watching Edie is wonderfully claustrophobic, trapping us as observers of the complex and suffocating relationship between Edie and Heather, compelled to watch until their secret is finally revealed'
Fiona Barton, Sunday Times bestselling author of The Widow
'Compelling, dark and intense, this story of a friendship gone wrong will keep you guessing until the end'
B A Paris, No. 1 bestselling author of Behind Closed Doors
'A taut suspense novel that drops secrets in all the right places'
Julia Heaberlin, bestselling author of Black-Eyed Susans
'Warning: this book will leave you emotionally sucker-punched ... Watching Edie is as if The Talented Mr Ripley author Patricia Highsmith grew up in Nineties smalltown Britain ... totally gripping' Stylist
'A gripping psychological thriller' Hello
About the Author
Publication date6th April 2017
More books by Camilla Way
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesThriller / suspense
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
I love Lovereading for the wonderful like for like author recommendations and for highlighting new books, it's a great resource for readers!Lindsay
The books for review are always great reads, brilliantly written, and introduces me to a huge variety of, established and new, authors.Lesley Hart
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
Lovereading always comes up with great suggestions and has introduced me to enjoyable books and new authors to discover.Gaynor Passmore
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill