Well of the WindsThe D.C.I. Daley Series Series
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A stimulating, fascinating and so very readable addition to the ‘D.C.I. Daley Series’. The past is haunting the present as murder visits an island off the coast of Kintyre. Denzil Meyrick’s writing style has evolved over the course of this series, the tone of the previous two novels branched out beyond the intimacy of Kinloch. Here Daley and Scott are at their very best within their own world, even while Daley is in a pit of personal anguish. Chief Superintendent Symington comes into her own as we discover what makes her tick. I found raised eyebrows, wry smiles, and chuckles followed Meyrick’s trademark humour which attaches itself brilliantly to Scott. Actual echoes from the Second World War reverberate around this piece of fiction and create an intriguing note of tension. ‘Well of the Winds' has to be one of my favourites in this captivating series, if you’ve not yet met Daley and Scott, do sink into the pages and introduce yourself. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Total page turner, full of story and real characters. Brilliantly intriguing murder mystery. Welcome back DCI Daley.'
- Les Wood - 'A rumbustious, rollicking, fast paced story that keeps you gripped and loving every minute of the adventure.'
- Ray Orgill - 'Another investigation by D.C.I. Daley and also featuring D.S. Brian Scott and their boss Chief Superintendent Symington...An investigation into various murders and espionage which will keep the readers guessing.'
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'An intriguing mystery/thriller with murder and mayhem galore.'
- Sue Burton - 'Good interesting read and a great twist at the end.'
- Judith Sharp - 'As a lover of crime fiction, I have just added a new name to my list of favourite authors. Looking forward to reading other DCI Daley stories.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'I quite enjoyed this book. It moved from the events of 1945 to the current day to solve a mystery in both timelines.'
- Carol Peace - 'A mystery that has you on the edge of your seat.'
- Kerry Bridges - 'Events from 1945 link a missing person enquiry from today - another exciting and highly recommended Daley and Scott thriller.'
- Sheila Johnson - 'Familiar characters but good story.'
- Glenda Worth - 'Well of the Winds by Denzil Mayrick is a great read about war time on the Scottish islands, about policing these islands and the investigations of war crimes and present day life. Another great novel!'
- Catherine Bryce - 'A gripping exciting read and is definitely one to put on your wish list to read!'
- Evelyn Love-Gajardo - 'I hadn't read any of the previous books in the DCI Daley series but I will certainly go back and read the rest now...It held my attention throughout, to the extent that I was awake till 1am finishing it off!'
- Alfred Nobile - 'A book I really enjoyed. This is the 5th in the DCI Daley series...Mr Meyrick is a writer of considerable skill, who pulled me through this tale with enough twists and turns, and wow moments to make sure I kept reading.'
- Marjorie Lacy - 'The story was well set out and competently written, I have no hesitation in recommending anyone to read it.'
- Angela Rhodes - 'Not just your average "Who Done it", that when you get to the end, you will be thinking “What If...”'
- Emily Curnow - 'A crime novel set in rural and remote Scotland that is so different from many others. Not only a modern day murder to investigate but a story of a war time Nazi Germany.... Highly recommended.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'This book pulls you in deeper - into a past of the war and a present of danger, intrigue and mystery.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Well of the Winds by Denzil Meyrick
As the Second World War nears its end, a man is stabbed to death on the shoreline of Kinloch, in the shadow of the great warships in the harbour. Many years later, the postman on Gairsay, a tiny island off the coast of Kintyre, discovers that the Bremner family are missing from their farm. There's a pot on the stove and food on the table, but of the Bremners there is no sign.When DCI Daley comes into possession of a journal written by his wartime predecessor in Kinloch, Inspector William Urquhart, he soon realises that the Isle of Gairsay has many secrets. Assisted by his indomitable deputy, DS Brian Scott, and new boss, Chief Superintendent Carrie Symington, Daley must solve a wartime murder to uncover the shocking events of the past and the present.
About the Author
Publication date6th April 2017
More books by Denzil Meyrick
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherPolygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited an imprint of Birlinn General
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
I love Lovereading for the wonderful like for like author recommendations and for highlighting new books, it's a great resource for readers!Lindsay
It is a website dedicated to those who adore reading It really is a one stop shop for book lovers. Love it!Edel Waugh
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters