The Hanging ClubDC Max Wolfe Series
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The third in the London based detective series featuring a man I really like, one Max Wolf, second in command in the Saville Row Crime Squad. His very human female boss here has some sad personal tragedy to cope with leaving Max in charge for a bit. The case they are chasing is vigilante stuff, where hangings are streamed live on the web. Those hanged seem unconnected but all have committed horrible crimes and got off lightly. An organised gang of four masked executioners take the law into their own hands. This is fast suspenseful stuff with lots of human touches as one would expect from the author of Man and Boy and Starting Over. We learn more of Max himself who is a single parent with a five year old daughter just starting school and a very interesting old schoolfriend, ex-Afghan veteran, who makes a dramatic appearance. This is a clever, highly recommended thriller, with some interesting historical facts about London. I loved it. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Lesley Mumbray-Williams - 'a brilliant and compelling read, frightening and thoroughly enjoyable. Highly recommended!'
- Janet Gilliard - 'grabbed me from the opening sentence and didn't let go until the last page...By far the best Max Wolfe novel.'
- Anne Rhodes - 'What is justice? What is revenge? What is retribution? These questions will pop in and out of your thoughts as you read – you may change your mind along the way – but you will be spell-bound from the first page to the last!'
- Alan Brown - 'A thriller with a conscience. An excellent beginning and a good story. Emotional and cerebral.'
- Lisa Hall - 'Another brilliant instalment in the DC Max Wolfe series - fast paced, twisty and very, very addictive...this is far and away the best so far.'
- Kerry Bridges - 'Another thrilling read; I highly recommend the whole series!'
- Carol Peace - 'A great read and one that held my attention from the very first page through to the very last. A reading roller coaster. 5*'
- Mary Chapman - 'D C Wolfe was a well written and believable character. I was gripped from page one.'
- Katherine Stewart - 'A gripping story.'
- Glenda Worth - 'The Hanging Club is one of those books that draws you in and keeps you hooked until the very end. People taking the law into their own hands and hanging evil men. DI Wolfe is on the case.'
- Judith Sharp - 'Fantastic crime series. A must read together with the first two in the series. DC Max Wolfe should get a promotion to DS after this latest exploit.'
- Ray Orgill - 'This is not a book for the over-squeamish but it has quite a twist at the end.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'A British author of thrillers to compete in the Premier League of crime writing.'
- Clare Turner - 'A gripping story, atmospheric, thought-provoking and exciting. Strongly recommended, especially for Max Wolfe fans!'
- Linda Birt - 'I enjoyed reading about DC Wolfe family as the investigations left me breathless.'
- Kate Moloney - 'The Hanging Club is a brilliant, tautly written thriller. Graphic, dark and suspenseful, it is an excellent installment in the DC Max Wolfe series.'
- Melanie Rose - 'The next DC Wolfe instalment ... just gets better.'
- Daran Bellingham - 'If you like novels that make you question things in your head then this is for you, vigilantism and capital punishment are the main themes of the story. '
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'I was hooked from the very first sentence in the prologue...I have not read the first two books featuring DC Max Wolfe but I will be doing now.'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'With a number of twists and turns it is a fascinating tale where you feel there is a great deal of truth in it – worryingly though it may be. I would thoroughly recommend it.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
The Hanging Club by Tony Parsons
JUDGE JURY WITNESS HANGMAN. A band of vigilante executioners roam London's hot summer nights, abducting evil men and hanging them by the neck until dead. As the bodies pile up and riots explode across the sweltering city, DC Max Wolfe hunts a gang of killers who many believe to be heroes. And discovers that the lust for revenge starts very close to home...
'I've long been a fan of Tony Parson's writing and I'm really enjoying his genre move into crime fiction. This is brilliant stuff.' Peter James
'Spectacular! Tense and human, fast and authentic.' Lee Child
'Told with clarity and insight ... Confirms Parsons has earned a place at the very pinnacle of British crime writing.' Daily Mail
'A relentless plot, evocative prose and compelling portraits of the characters, good and evil, conspire to make this a must read.' Jeffery Deaver
About the Author
Publication date23rd February 2017
More books by Tony Parsons
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
I love Lovereading for the wonderful like for like author recommendations and for highlighting new books, it's a great resource for readers!Lindsay
It's the first site that I visit when deciding on the next set of books to buy. A particular treat is being able to download an extract.Tessa Olson
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges