A Summer at Sea
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
March 2017 Book of the Month.
A comforting, delightful tale about taking chances, trusting instincts, nourishing friendships and finding love. If you’re a fan of Katie Fforde, then you know you're about to be wrapped up in a delightfully familiar cosy blanket of romance. Midwife Emily takes time off in order to help her friend, she discovers a beautiful part of Scotland, and the potential for a whole new life, but will she embrace it? Katie Fforde writes with a soothing, light touch, it is easy to relate to her characters, from teddy loving nine year old Kate through to Fair Isle knitterholic Maisie. ‘A Summer at Sea’ encourages you to take some time off from the real world in order to sink into a gentle, engaging and enjoyable read. ~ Liz Robinson
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read the full reviews here.
- Lucy Copes - 'Fantastic book! Gripping, funny, relatable: all the best things for a book to be. Recommended it to everyone I know.'
- Jill Peters - 'This is Katie Fforde at her best, entertaining her readers with pure escapism. An ideal book for holiday packing in readiness for the sun lounger or in front of the fire during the winter months.'
- Verity Langley - 'Being a big Katie Fforde fan I was expecting a lot from her and A Summer at Sea didn’t disappoint.'
- Samantha Lewis - 'having not read one of Katie Fforde books before I'm now hooked!'
- Claire Simms - 'A lovely romantic story, definitely worth a read.'
- Becca Jayne - 'With breath-taking pictures painted in my mind of the picturesque landscapes of A Summer At Sea, I was swept away into a charming and magnificent summer read.'
- Lisa Keast - 'A fun and addictive read from the very beginning. Great characters that draw you in to the story. A warm and fun romance to escape to.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The plot is interesting and the characters are relatable but even better is the setting of the story on the Puffer Boat.'
- Sue Burton - 'Good feel factor book.'
- Pam Woodburn - 'A pleasant, undemanding book which is ideal to read whilst the winter rain batters the windows. Very relaxing.'
- Nicola Lowes - 'An enjoyable, relaxed read in the style we've come to expect from Katie Fforde. Emily is a likeable character and the scenery descriptions are mouth-watering. Heart-warming and uplifting.'
- Carneika Washbrook - 'A Summer at Sea is a heart-warming book you can just pick up whenever you want, read a few chapters, then come back to it another day. It’s an easy read that takes you away on a romantic holiday.'
- Jane Pepler - 'I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well written and there were enough twists in the plot to keep me interested until the end of the book along with plenty of humour and romance.'
- Christine Waddington - 'This is a book where you are involved with the characters from the very first page - and they are a very engaging cast...With many twists and turns - and lots of knitting - this is a novel that romps along.'
- Tracey Copeland - 'the characters in this book are easy to get to know and likeable too, I was keen to know the outcome, even though it was pretty predictable, an easy read, enjoyable as always.'
A Summer at Sea by Katie Fforde
Emily is happy with her life just as it is. She has a career as a midwife that she loves . She enjoys living on her own as a single woman. But she's also feels it's time for a change and a spot of some sea air. So when her best friend Rebecca asks whether she'd like to spend the summer cooking on a 'puffer' boat just off the Scottish coast, she jumps at the chance. But she barely has time to get to grips with the galley before she finds herself with a lot on her plate. Rebecca is heavily pregnant and is thrilled to have her friend on board doing most of the work. Then there's Emily's competitive and jealous kitchen assistant who thinks she should be head-cook, not Emily. And there's Alasdair, the handsome local doctor who Emily is desperately trying not to notice. Because if she falls in love with him, as he appears to be falling for her, will she ever want her old life back again?
'It's a delightfully engaging read.' Sunday Express
'Warm, brilliant, and full of love, drop anchor and curl up with this.' Heat
'A supremely engaging book from the doyenne of contemporary romance...it is Fforde's characters that give this book its irresistible emotional pull...a thoroughly modern tale of love, career and family, perfect for a relaxing afternoon on the sofa.' The Lady
'A lovely read.' South Wales Evening Post
'If I had to choose the perfect writer to cheer me up on a shivery winter's day I'd definitely go for Katie Fforde...' Emma Lee Potter blog
About the Author
Publication date9th February 2017
More books by Katie Fforde
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
Lovereading always comes up with great suggestions and has introduced me to enjoyable books and new authors to discover.Gaynor Passmore
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
Lovereading does a stella job in promoting both new and established authors.Iris Clements
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
I love reading because my cares & woes vanish for an hour or two whilst I read of the joys, adventures, lives of the characters in the book.Jennifer Moville