£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
With an unusual focus, ‘Baby Doll’ is a menacing, yet beautifully compassionate read. Lily escapes captivity after eight years, she has suffered the unthinkable trauma of being mentally and physically abused, when she returns home, will she find it possible to live ‘happily ever after’? Chapters centre on one of four people, each chapter is short, throbbing with intensity, highlighting thoughts and feelings. Hollie Overton has written in a simple style, which feels necessary as the heartrending after effects of the kidnapping come to the fore. With sinister precision, the offender skulks through the pages, waiting, biding his time. I simply galloped through this dramatic tale, hoping yet apprehensive, would justice prevail? Encouraging thoughts to explore different avenues, ‘Baby Doll’ is a gritty, and captivating read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Celia Cohen - 'A taut well written psychological thriller which will hook you from the first page.'
- Jo Hutchinson - 'A fascinating read...‘Baby Doll’ by Hollie Overton is a deeply moving novel that is also fast paced and a truly riveting story.'
- Francesca Ashurst - 'Hollie Overton’s debut novel is a gripping read...a real page turner with plenty of twists and turns along the way which makes for a compelling read.'
- Michelle McKernan - 'A brilliant page-turner. Believable characters interwoven with a great plot made me want to fill even the odd minute with this book. Unpredictable and pacy – A must read.'
- Lisa Hall - 'A tense, uncomfortable read, I was hooked from the very first page.'
- Joan Hill - 'Held captive for over eight years Lily Riser seizes her chance to escape with her young daughter. This is the engaging story of her fight for justice and to make a new future.'
- Suzanne Bellingham - 'It’s a real page turner of a book as you are drawn into the family’s story, how the relationships try to rebuild after the separations and how new relationships emerge.'
- Laura Gardner - 'A difficult subject to read but well worth every minute - Fantastic'
- Laura Delve - 'An incredibly compelling, edge of your seat story that focuses on what happens after you escape years after being abducted.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Terrifying and impossible to put down...A must read book! Add this to your summer reading list.'
- Sandra - 'A fast paced and thrilling novel which is truly un-put-downable. Lily has been held captive for 8 years since she was only 16. We find out what happens when she escapes.'
- Vikki Patis - 'Baby Doll seemed to have all the right ingredients - kidnap, abuse, escape, revenge - for a hard-hitting, moving story. But, sadly, 'Baby Doll' didn't live up to expectations.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'This thriller manages to encompass all the elements of an exciting story.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'it’s an easy and reasonably appealing read.'
- Tanera Simons - 'Overton's first novel is an engaging insight into the psychological aftermath of abduction and abuse. It is fast-paced, emotional, and I couldn't put it down!'
- Beth Winsor - 'A good read with interesting family dynamics.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
This is a gripping and tense psychological thriller you'll devour in one sitting. Read the novel that kept Tess Gerritsen transfixed and entertained until the very last page .You've been hold captive in one room. You've been mentally and physically abused every day since you were sixteen years old. Then, one night, you realise your captor has left the door to your cell unlocked. For the first time in eight years you're free. This is what happens next. Praise for Baby Doll: What a compulsive read! A brilliant first novel that kept me transfixed and entertained until the very last page. (Tess Gerritsen). Compelling psychological thriller. (Daily Express). With a narrative that can only be described as 'nuclear', the story of newly freed Lily and her daughter Sky moves at breakneck speed...It's a really good read. (Stylist). Compelling first novel...Overton throws in enough twists, turns, and surprises to keep the reader wondering what on earth can happen next. (Publishers Weekly). If Overton's debut is anything to go by, she'll soon be up there with the best of them!. (Peterborough Evening Telegraph). Riveting from the first line. (Woman's Own). Gritty, captivating thriller.. (Love Reading). A gripping page-turner that will make you think about what it means to be free. (Glamour South Africa). Riveting and difficult to put down. (News Gazette). You'll feel the sudden urge to check the locks on your front door. (The Line Up).
'A brilliant first novel that kept me transfixed and entertained until the very last page.' -- Tess Gerritsen
'Compelling psychological thriller' Daily Express
'With a narrative that can only be described as 'nuclear', the story of newly freed Lily and her daughter Sky moves at breakneck speed ... It's a really good read.' Stylist
'If Overton's debut is anything to go by, she'll soon be up there with the best of them!' Peterborough Evening Telegraph
About the Author
Publication date29th December 2016
More books by Hollie Overton
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
A great place to go to find your next literary escape, and where you don't have to judge a book by its cover!Suzanne Beney
As for why I'd recommend Lovereading, it's simple - it's a great place to get information and reviews about new books!Margaret Freeman
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
I love Lovereading because of its ability to connect people that love books & unite them in a friendly, stimulating & interesting community.Megan Olwen William
The books for review are always great reads, brilliantly written, and introduces me to a huge variety of, established and new, authors.Lesley Hart
It is a website dedicated to those who adore reading It really is a one stop shop for book lovers. Love it!Edel Waugh
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters