£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
With an unusual focus, ‘Baby Doll’ is a menacing, yet beautifully compassionate read. Lily escapes captivity after eight years, she has suffered the unthinkable trauma of being mentally and physically abused, when she returns home, will she find it possible to live ‘happily ever after’? Chapters centre on one of four people, each chapter is short, throbbing with intensity, highlighting thoughts and feelings. Hollie Overton has written in a simple style, which feels necessary as the heartrending after effects of the kidnapping come to the fore. With sinister precision, the offender skulks through the pages, waiting, biding his time. I simply galloped through this dramatic tale, hoping yet apprehensive, would justice prevail? Encouraging thoughts to explore different avenues, ‘Baby Doll’ is a gritty, and captivating read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Celia Cohen - 'A taut well written psychological thriller which will hook you from the first page.'
- Jo Hutchinson - 'A fascinating read...‘Baby Doll’ by Hollie Overton is a deeply moving novel that is also fast paced and a truly riveting story.'
- Francesca Ashurst - 'Hollie Overton’s debut novel is a gripping read...a real page turner with plenty of twists and turns along the way which makes for a compelling read.'
- Michelle McKernan - 'A brilliant page-turner. Believable characters interwoven with a great plot made me want to fill even the odd minute with this book. Unpredictable and pacy – A must read.'
- Lisa Hall - 'A tense, uncomfortable read, I was hooked from the very first page.'
- Joan Hill - 'Held captive for over eight years Lily Riser seizes her chance to escape with her young daughter. This is the engaging story of her fight for justice and to make a new future.'
- Suzanne Bellingham - 'It’s a real page turner of a book as you are drawn into the family’s story, how the relationships try to rebuild after the separations and how new relationships emerge.'
- Laura Gardner - 'A difficult subject to read but well worth every minute - Fantastic'
- Laura Delve - 'An incredibly compelling, edge of your seat story that focuses on what happens after you escape years after being abducted.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Terrifying and impossible to put down...A must read book! Add this to your summer reading list.'
- Sandra - 'A fast paced and thrilling novel which is truly un-put-downable. Lily has been held captive for 8 years since she was only 16. We find out what happens when she escapes.'
- Vikki Patis - 'Baby Doll seemed to have all the right ingredients - kidnap, abuse, escape, revenge - for a hard-hitting, moving story. But, sadly, 'Baby Doll' didn't live up to expectations.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'This thriller manages to encompass all the elements of an exciting story.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'it’s an easy and reasonably appealing read.'
- Tanera Simons - 'Overton's first novel is an engaging insight into the psychological aftermath of abduction and abuse. It is fast-paced, emotional, and I couldn't put it down!'
- Beth Winsor - 'A good read with interesting family dynamics.'
Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
This is a gripping and tense psychological thriller you'll devour in one sitting. Read the novel that kept Tess Gerritsen transfixed and entertained until the very last page .You've been hold captive in one room. You've been mentally and physically abused every day since you were sixteen years old. Then, one night, you realise your captor has left the door to your cell unlocked. For the first time in eight years you're free. This is what happens next. Praise for Baby Doll: What a compulsive read! A brilliant first novel that kept me transfixed and entertained until the very last page. (Tess Gerritsen). Compelling psychological thriller. (Daily Express). With a narrative that can only be described as 'nuclear', the story of newly freed Lily and her daughter Sky moves at breakneck speed...It's a really good read. (Stylist). Compelling first novel...Overton throws in enough twists, turns, and surprises to keep the reader wondering what on earth can happen next. (Publishers Weekly). If Overton's debut is anything to go by, she'll soon be up there with the best of them!. (Peterborough Evening Telegraph). Riveting from the first line. (Woman's Own). Gritty, captivating thriller.. (Love Reading). A gripping page-turner that will make you think about what it means to be free. (Glamour South Africa). Riveting and difficult to put down. (News Gazette). You'll feel the sudden urge to check the locks on your front door. (The Line Up).
'A brilliant first novel that kept me transfixed and entertained until the very last page.' -- Tess Gerritsen
'Compelling psychological thriller' Daily Express
'With a narrative that can only be described as 'nuclear', the story of newly freed Lily and her daughter Sky moves at breakneck speed ... It's a really good read.' Stylist
'If Overton's debut is anything to go by, she'll soon be up there with the best of them!' Peterborough Evening Telegraph
About the Author
Publication date29th December 2016
More books by Hollie Overton
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin
Lovereading tells me about new books before they hit the shelves, lets me find other authors I may like and has great prize draws!Sheila Dale
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
A great place to go to find your next literary escape, and where you don't have to judge a book by its cover!Suzanne Beney