£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
An intriguing start to a new series by the writer and creator of Grange Hill, Brookside and Hollyoaks. When I knew Phil Redmond was the author I did a little mental shimmy of excitement and my expectations soared. Hard-hitting social and political themes sit centre stage, with the drama weaving and darting through the chapters. A pow of a prologue introduces the background to the main storyline, then an awful lot of characters are introduced in a very short space of time. The town of Highbridge itself sits slightly in the background, brooding, always present. I felt as though I had just moved into the town and was working overtime to get to know my surroundings, the movers and shakers, and of course the scummiest of the scum. It did feel at times as though this was an introduction, that ‘Highbridge’ is all about setting the scene and bedding in for the new series, however things really start to heat up by the half way point, and then the drama really kicks in. Like the first in a promising TV series roll on the second. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Sheila Johnson - 'This is a crime novel but not the usual sort. It is a real page turner and has a different approach that is thought-provoking.'
- Haleema Iqbal - 'One word. Incredible. This book was unputdownable - purely amazing!'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'I thought this story was going to be good with reading the first two pages about Janey Nolan. But after the first two pages I found this book very hard to get in to.'
- Catherine Jenkins - 'What I enjoyed most about this book was that you can tell Redmond wrote it - the pace never relents, fuelled by plenty of insight into the gritty underbelly of life 'up North'.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Written by the creator of Grange Hill, Brookside and Hollyoaks, Phil Redmond has written the first in a new series of crime books, in the type of City we all know or have known...'
- Ann Alderton - 'Redmond has created strong flawed protagonists in Joe, Luke and Sean, each with their own unflinching moral compass...and as you would expect from an accomplished screen writer, the way the characters express their thoughts in dialogue is well crafted.'
- Sandra Robinson - 'A slow burner with some bright moments but generally fairly hard going as I didn't really warm to any of the characters or the storyline.'
- Helen Lowry - 'Two brothers decide it is time to avenge their sister, Janey's, death. But they have two completely different ideas on how to deal with this...overall, I was disappointed with this book. I found it difficult to get in to and it seemed to be lacking a bit of flair.'
- Daran Bellingham - 'A hard novel to get in to.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'Had the right credentials but disappointed.'
- Judith Sharp - 'Too much political ranting for my liking. Would have probably worked better as a TV series.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Disappointed. I’d expected to read an engaging fiction but found myself frustrated that the storyline got lost among reflections on community and its residence.'
- Trilby Humphryes - 'Highbridge is an entertaining quick read and would make good TV but because the characters were neither likeable nor overly interesting, I won't be rushing to read the follow up.'
- Stephanie Blakey - 'It's fast paced, descriptive and full of suspense. Brilliantly dramatic with deftly drawn characters it moves along at a cracking pace.'
Highbridge by Phil Redmond
The dramatic novel from the writer and creator of Brookside, Hollyoaks and Grange Hill. Three years ago, Janey Nolan was murdered in the centre of town. Today, no one knows who did it. Sick of waiting for the powers that be to rid the streets and school gates of dealers, druggies and parasites, Janey's brothers want to avenge her death. While Sean decides to explore the routes and corridors of political power, Joey chooses more direct action in and among the alleys and pathways of the neighbourhood itself. But can the brothers find Janey's killer without bringing more danger to their town? THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING. THIS IS HIGHBRIDGE.
'A high-octane journey through many touchstones of broken Britain ... Highbridge sees Redmond repurposing those TV writing techniques. Each chapter is a melange of storylines building to an end of chapter cliffhanger that hooks the reader as firmly as Brookie's go-to-ad-break jeopardy. Dialogue is freighted with sass and politics. There's a splashy, violent denouement. We're back in Redmondshire.' Guardian
'Gritty, pacy and populated with memorable characters.' Good Housekeeping
'A state-of-the-nation novel.' Samira Ahmed, Front Row
'True to form, this book has a plethora of viewpoints, punchy plotlines and twists before we get to the crunching finale... everyone packed into these pages is a real as if you've just passed them by on the street' Crime Fiction Lover
About the Author
Publication date12th January 2017
More books by Phil Redmond
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
Lovereading always comes up with great suggestions and has introduced me to enjoyable books and new authors to discover.Gaynor Passmore
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter