The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
October 2016 Debut of the Month.
Gosh, this is an absolute treasure of a debut… and it’s full of delightful, delicious quirkiness. 69 year old widower Arthur sets out to find the truth behind a charm bracelet he discovers when sorting through his wife’s wardrobe. Arthur quickly realises that before she met him, his wife had a whole host of experiences, and Arthur knew nothing about them! Phaedra Patrick writes with a beautifully light touch, yet imbues each page with a meaningful eloquence. Arthur is a joy to get to know, you feel his sadness and bewilderment at his loneliness and loss, then as he steps out on his quest, you witness his cloistered heart and mind unfurling towards the possibilities that life can offer. ‘The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper’ fizzes with gentle humour, it encouraged my thoughts to wander in new directions, and charmed the cockles of my heart. This is a beautiful little gem of a read and I highly recommend it. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read the full reviews.
- Sarah Harper - 'A lovely tale with beautifully crafted characters, warmth, humour and poignancy. I romped through this perfectly delightful story.'
- Catherine Bryce - 'A lovely novel which is a sheer delight to read from beginning to end.'
- Sue Pledger - 'Very enjoyable read. A well written and very charming story. It is a feel good read, very satisfying and a lovely ending.'
- Helen Appleby - 'a delightful book and was an absolute joy to read, Phaedra Patrick has created a story that draws the reader in from the first page and evokes feel good emotions from the start.'
- Shriya Khambhaita - 'Funny, warm and loving...I took Arthur Pepper with me everywhere. I smiled a lot and couldn't stop guessing what this secret was?'
- Sophia - 'What a lovely book! Such a wonderful story!'
- Janet Gilliard - 'This book is warm and funny and poignant. Highly recommended.'
- Kerry Bridges - 'An appealing, thoughtful read with the author's interest in people very evident. Certainly to be recommended.'
- Wendy Stubbs - 'Charmed I certainly was, from the first page to the last...This book was so revealing, so beguiling. Tears, laughter and disbelief with every page. A joy to read, one of the best debut books I have read for a long time.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Are you ready to meet Arthur Pepper? I hope so, because he is going to steal your heart!'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'a powerful, brilliantly written and totally engaging review of love lost and new life found...Totally saddened to have finished this great read. Arthur, I wish I could meet you but I am so very glad you came into my life.'
- Fiona Rothery - 'The story is very heart warming, sometimes sad, often amusing and extremely enjoyable.'
- Lorraine Blencoe - 'I so wanted to love it but there was bit of clumsiness to it that made it lose some of its charm.'
- Andrea Rayner - 'This is a gently humorous book, full of insight and optimism about the nature of human relationships.'
- Lynne Rapson - 'The charm of the title is well-founded. A charming odyssey.'
- Ceri Forster - 'A light hearted easy read, with likeable characters and plenty of humour. However, it's a little forced in places and could have been really moving but somehow misses the mark.'
- Jane Brown - 'Simply charming - excuse the pun- a lovely read and undoubtedly a 2016 best seller.'
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
40 Years of Marriage. 8 Golden Charms. One Man's Journey of Discovery. [A] charming, unforgettable story. - Harper's Bazaar Having been married for over 40 years, 69-year-old Arthur Pepper is mourning the loss of his wife. On the anniversary of her death, he finally musters the courage to go through her possessions, and happens upon a charm bracelet that he has never seen before. What follows is a surprising adventure that takes Arthur from London to Paris and India in an epic quest to find out the truth about his wife's secret life before they met, a journey that leads him to find healing, self-discovery, and love in the most unexpected of places.
'Charming by name, charming by nature, this book is a balm for the soul and the heart.' - The Sun
'We love this sweet story about self-discovery.' - Take A Break
'A gorgeous journey told through charms' - 4 stars - Heat 'If you liked The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, you'll love this'
About the Author
Publication date22nd September 2016
More books by Phaedra Patrick
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherMira an imprint of Harlequin (UK)
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane
Lovereading has all the new books and also suggestions for 'similar' authors whilst waiting for your favourites new books.Carol Peace
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
I love Lovereading because of its ability to connect people that love books & unite them in a friendly, stimulating & interesting community.Megan Olwen William
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook