Katherine of Aragon, the True QueenSix Tudor Queens Series
£18.99 saving £3.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
When you settle into an Alison Weir you settle into history itself. She is thorough, detailed and hugely knowledgeable. Here she delivers the first of a projected series to cover each of Henry VIII’s wives in big passionate reads. Getting under the skin of Katherine of Aragon she delivers us a frightened, lonely, 16-year who becomes a spirited, determined woman not afraid of standing up to her second husband and challenging him right to the end, not afraid to stand up for her faith and fight for her daughter, Mary. More challenging than Philippa Gregory, drier than Elizabeth Chadwick, Alison’s non-fiction background shines through. Steep yourself in the Tudor Court. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
May 2016 Book of the Month.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Sarah Musk - 'A sympathetic gripping account of the decline of the marriage of Henry VIII and Katharine of Aragon. At the end England would never be the same again.'
- Sue Cunliffe - 'A fascinating read, depicting the love triangle of Henry, Katherine and Anne. Katherine remains steadfast to her beliefs to the end. The consequences changing the course of history forever.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Wow!! I have learnt more from this book, than I did at school.'
- Lisa Hall - 'I was bowled over by this book - an enchanting, intriguing look into the life of Katherine of Aragon, as opposed to what happened after she was removed as Henry's Queen, I was mesmerised.'
- Kathy Howell - 'I have read and enjoyed Alison Weir’s books and really enjoyed reading this one too. All her books are well researched but easy to read.'
- Mollie Mayson-Simpson - 'Historical fiction as presented by a true historian - edge-of-the-seat confrontation between the one true queen and the husband attempting to depose of her.'
- Helen Lowry - 'History and the story of Katherine's life in one book. Told from Katherine's point of view from the day she arrives in England...As a history lover, this book was a pleasure to read.'
- Margaret Freeman - 'An enjoyable fictional biography of Katherine of Aragon, based on historical fact.'
- Joy Finlayson - 'Katherine of Aragon, The True Queen gives voice to an essential player in the 16th Century, displaying strength of character and an unwavering faith.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This is the story about Katherine of Aragon who became Queen of England. Katherine was married to Henry VIII and reading the story about their notorious marriage was impossible to put
Win tickets to Chiddingstone Castle Lit Fest
We have four pairs of tickets to give away to hear Alison Weir at the Chiddingstone Castle Literary Festival Sunday 30 April 4 - 5 pm. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once and the prize cannot be exchanged for cash and does not include transport or accommodation. Draw closes on Friday 17 April. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 20 April 2017.
Katherine of Aragon, the True Queen by Alison Weir
Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen by bestselling historian Alison Weir, author of The Lost Tudor Princess, is the first in a spellbinding six novel series about Henry VIII's Queens.
Alison Weir lets you walk in Katherine's footsteps and so understand this extraordinary woman as never before. History tells us how Katherine died; this captivating novel shows us how she lived. A must-read for fans of Philippa Gregory and Elizabeth Chadwick. 'Shatters the many myths about Henry VIII's long-suffering first wife' - Tracy Borman A Spanish princess. Raised to be modest, obedient and devout. Destined to be an English Queen. Six weeks from home across treacherous seas, everything is different: the language, the food, the weather. And for her there is no comfort in any of it. At sixteen years-old, Catalina is alone among strangers. She misses her mother. She mourns her lost brother. She cannot trust even those assigned to her protection. KATHERINE OF ARAGON. The first of Henry's Queens. Her story. Acclaimed, bestselling historian Alison Weir has based her enthralling account of Henry VIII's first wife on extensive research and new theories. She reveals a strong, spirited woman determined to fight for her rights and the rightful place of her daughter. A woman who believed that to be the wife of a King was her destiny. History tells us how she died. This captivating novel shows us how she lived.
'In this, the first novel of the Six Tudor Queens series, Alison Weir brings Katherine of Aragon dazzlingly to life. Based upon extensive new research, it is a portrayal that shatters the many myths about Henry VIII's long-suffering first wife. Far from being the one-dimensional victim of history, she emerges as a charismatic, indomitable and courageous heroine whose story never fails to enthral' Tracy Borman
'Yet again, Alison Weir has managed to intertwine profound historical knowledge with huge emotional intelligence, to compose a work that throws light on an endlessly fascinating historical figure. Yet her real gift in all of this is making it feel so fresh and alive' Earl Spencer
About the Author
Publication date5th May 2016
More books by Alison Weir
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHeadline Review an imprint of Headline Publishing Group
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
It's the first site that I visit when deciding on the next set of books to buy. A particular treat is being able to download an extract.Tessa Olson
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston