The Spider in the Corner of the Room
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
June 2015 Debut of the Month.
A powerful, penetrating and intensely different read that seizes your attention from the very first page. The author cleverly writes in the first person narrative in two different time frames, Maria has Asperger syndrome and we are held on the edge of a connection and understanding, yet allowed intimate access to her anxiety, fear and torment. As Maria questions her memory, her thoughts, her grasp on the present and past, a creeping sense of foreboding and fear settles across the pages. For much of the novel you are kept in the dark alongside Maria, which provokes and agitates your interest, suggestions are made then ripped away, suspicions are roused and then extinguished. This fascinating premise works, it leaves you wanting more; just who can be trusted and what is the truth? ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Shaun O'Keefe - 'Psychological thriller meets conspiracy in Nikki Owen's gripping debut. A thought-provoking, gripping and at times, terrifying read, The Spider in the Corner of the Room is compulsive reading at its very best.'
- Lisa Hall - 'A brilliant novel of intrigue and deceit, with the twists and turns of the best conspiracy theories, I absolutely loved The Spider in the Corner of the Room.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, that was a story and half. This thriller is amazing, some unsuspecting twists and turns that you never thought possible! Cannot wait for the next instalment of this trilogy!'
- Celia Cohen - 'A well written psychological thriller.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'Plastic surgeon Dr Maria Martinez has Aspergers. She is alone and in a London prison convicted of murder....'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'If you like haunting thrillers, this one is for you. Totally compelling and credible.'
- Cath Sell - 'This thriller features the intriguing Dr. Maria Martinez - in prison and fighting (literally at times) to clear her name and keep alive...neither is for certain.'
- Edel Waugh - 'If you love conspiracy theories then you will really enjoy this first book in this trilogy.'
- Melanie Kane - 'The plot of this novel was extremely well written with great narrative and detail. A powerful account of lies, deceit, murder, espionage and cruelty all which made for a very provocative read.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'The style is a little awkward but the story is interesting.'
- Rachel Bridgeman - 'Too convoluted and clever for its' own good, this debut thriller tried to do so much in the space of the book that many elements were left dangling.'
- Caroline Mathews - 'Disappointing, I'm afraid. I think there's a decent story in there somewhere, but it took too long to get going.'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'A gripping novel part murder mystery, part conspiracy theory.'
- Celeste Mc Creesh - 'I feel like there is more to this story for the reader and Maria to uncover and I'm really looking forward to the next instalment of this trilogy.'
- Bev Farningham - 'Well written but to be honest this story did nothing for me.'
The Spider in the Corner of the Room by Nikki Owen
What to believe
Who to betray
When to run…
Plastic surgeon Dr Maria Martinez has Asperger’s. Convicted of killing a priest, she is alone, in prison and has no memory of the murder. DNA evidence places Maria at the scene of the crime, yet she claims she’s innocent. Then she starts to remember… A strange room. Strange people. Being watched. As Maria gets closer to the truth she is drawn into a web of international intrigue and must fight not only to clear her name but to remain alive.
As addictive as the Bourne novels, with a protagonist as original as The Bridge’s Saga Norén.
Part one of The Project trilogy
Praise for The Spider in the Corner of the Room:
‘Powerful and gripping – an adrenaline-filled thriller you won't forget' – Sunday Times bestseller Kimberley Chambers
‘An intriguing and original novel, with an underlying sense of menace and mystery.’ - Ruth Hunter Booktime Editor (Bertram Group)
‘A great conspiracy thriller and a mind-bending tale!’ - Booktime
About the Author
Publication date4th June 2015
More books by Nikki Owen
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherMira an imprint of Harlequin (UK)
CategoriesThriller / suspense
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
As for why I'd recommend Lovereading, it's simple - it's a great place to get information and reviews about new books!Margaret Freeman
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
Its jam packed with fantastic titles, informative descriptions & fantastic reviews and has a vast array of great features & competitions.Linda Rollins