LoveReading View on The Book of You
NewGen Books of the Year 2014.
May 2014 Debut of the Month.
A tale of stalking, date rape and fear, all set against the backdrop of a trial of which Clarissa is a juror. The story develops over the seven weeks of the trial. It is creepy, compelling and scarily plausible and it is interesting to have a trial of kidnap and rape developing beneath the story of Clarissa. Even minor characters have a depth in a well written first novel which impressed me enormously.
The Book of You Synopsis
A terrifying psychological thriller about obsession and power, perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep. Clarissa is becoming more and more frightened of her colleague, Rafe. He won't leave her alone, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is always there. Being selected for jury service is a relief. The courtroom is a safe haven, a place where Rafe can't be. But as a violent tale of kidnap and abuse unfolds, Clarissa begins to see parallels between her own situation and that of the young woman on the witness stand. Realizing that she bears the burden of proof, Clarissa unravels the twisted, macabre fairytale that Rafe has spun around them - and discovers that the ending he envisions is more terrifying than she could have imagined.
To celebrate the September release of Cass Green's "dynamic, powerfully expressive novel" Don't You Cry, we are giving away FIVE copies of the latest psychological thriller AND a 'Most Stressful Night of Your Life package' of luxury Hot Chocolate and a MINI Bottle of Whiskey!!!
She saved your life. Now she'll make you pay - One stolen baby. Two desperate strangers. One night of terror.
The competition closes on the 11th October 2018. The winner will be informed by the 17th October 2018.
To have a chance of winning this fantastic prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter and you must be 18 or over to enter this competition. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once. By entering this competition you are agreeing to the conditions mentioned above and to adhere to the LoveReading Terms and Conditions.
The Book of You Reader Reviews
We have asked a small number of our 'reader review panel' members to read and review The Book Of You. You can read their reviews below.
- Julie Collins - 'An intriguing story about a girl who is being stalked by a colleague who becomes more menacing as the story progresses. Fast paced and terrifying; an original twist on a popular plot.' Read full review >
- Anita Wallas - 'Creepy, tense and terrifying, Claire Kendal's debut raises the bar. It's a real chiller.' Read full review >
- Richard Hamlin - 'The Book of You is a compelling and gripping thriller. The characters are well developed, the plot builds to a gripping climax and the narrative is well paced. All in all it’s an absorbing read.' Read full review >
- Sally Doel - 'This story is thoroughly believable - and quite disturbing for that. It is a very good read and I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody who loves a good psychological thriller with great characters.' Read full review >
- Suzanne Marsh - 'I can promise all readers who love a psychological thriller that you will not be able to put The Book Of You down. My heart was thumping as I read chapter after chapter.' Read full review >
- Lucy - 'Excellent gripping debut novel from a promising new author.' Read full review >
- Sarah Musk - 'A dark, utterly compelling book about the terrible toll an obsessive stalker has on his victim. A hard-hitting tale - not for the faint-hearted.' . Read full review >
- Nicola Kingswell - 'A brilliant page-turner of a psychological thriller. A terrifying mix of tales of an obsessed stalker and a court case with similar parallels to the protagonist’s life. Gripping and gritty.' Read full review >
- Daran Bellingham - 'A tale of psychological suspense. Two stories in one, it’s strange how real life can mirror real life.' Read full review >
- Joan Hill - 'This story of obsessive stalking is both frightening and compelling. I was absolutely hooked from the very beginning until the very last word. It's a real gem of a debut novel.' Read full review >
- Glynis Elliott - 'I am sure this will be a best seller but not perhaps for me.' Read full review >
- Julie Griffiths - 'I couldn't put the book down as couldn't wait to find out what happened next...It made me look over my shoulder more than once since I have read it.' Read full review >
- Robin Little - 'We are all aware of stalkers, they are mad and sad but as Clarissa finds out it can be much worse.' Read full review >
- Alison Layland - 'This dark, compelling story about the dreadful effect of stalking was a page-turner, with several intriguing layers and writing that draws the reader in.' Read full review >
- Jane Carter - 'This is the book to make you understand what it is like to be stalked. If you're brave enough...' Read full review >
- Samantha Chan - 'Fast-paced thriller that was difficult to put down. Compelling and very creepy!...I read it in two days and nearly missed my train because I was so engrossed in it.' Read full review >
- Ian Tyreman - 'Fast-paced book, bringing together the past and present of one man's history told by his latest victim. Thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and the turn of events.' Read full review >
- Nicola Cooper - 'This is the best book I have read in a long time... I will be looking out for more books from this author. Great debut novel, highly recommended!!!' Read full review >
The Book of You Press Reviews
Further praise for The Book Of You.
'THE BOOK OF YOU starts with breathtaking brilliance and then just gets better with every page. Already my book of the year'
Elizabeth Haynes (author of INTO THE DARKEST CORNER)
'Addictive ... I literally hardly breathed as I raced to the end. It's a terrifying thriller'
Samantha Hayes (author of UNTIL YOU'RE MINE)
'Creepy and compelling ... what happens when the wrong guy won't take no for an answer?'
Paula Daly (author of JUST WHAT KIND OF MOTHER ARE YOU?)
'Chilling, raw, and utterly addictive, THE BOOK OF YOU is the kind of psychological thriller that you will want to read in one gulp, only to find yourself terrified once the lights are off
Alafair Burke (New York Times bestselling author of IF YOU WERE HERE)
If you loved this, you might like these...