International Day of Friendship is a day to appreciate and promote friendships from all backgrounds. Celebrated across the globe, today, 30 July the day aims to bridge the gaps between factors such as race, language and culture.
It was proclaimed in 2011 by the UN General Assembly with the idea that friendship between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities.
International Day of Friendship promotes the idea that fostering friendships between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals can inspire peace and build bridges between those communities.
Friendship requires empathy, compassion and concern for other people. By valuing and celebrating friendship, we foster these characteristics and adopt a more selfless and grateful outlook on life.
To celebrate this day, we present our collection of 40+ Books that Feature Friendship.
From uplifting stories of finding solace in a new social circle, to life-affirming accounts of community spirit, to riveting reflections from lifelong friends, there's something for everyone here.
"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” Wise words from Mark Twain, and a sentiment we couldn’t agree with more.
To celebrate this day, we also share with you some of our favourite quotes from books about friendship:
- “You are my best friend as well as my lover, and I do not know which side of you I enjoy the most. I treasure each side, just as I have treasured our life together.” ― Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- “A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.” ― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
- "Why did you do all this for me?" he asked. "I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.""You have been my friend," replied Charlotte. "That in itself is a tremendous thing." ― E.B. White, Charlotte's Web
- “True friends are always together in spirit. " ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
- “You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
- “We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over.” ― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
- “I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you, and that's why.” ― John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men
- “There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends.” ― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
#InternationalDayofFriendship #FriendshipDay #BFF #FriendsForever #FriendsLikeFamily #FriendshipDay #FriendshipDayCelebration #FriendshipCelebration